1. Sign Virgil van Dijk – Arsenal have missed a leader at the back for years. Per Mertesacker is a good organiser, but is now a liability.
van Dijk will give the side a physical presence at the back. Strong, quick and tall, at the age of 26 he has the best to come. He is also very good at bringing the ball out of defence.
2. Return to 4 at the back – Going to 3 at the back won us the FA Cup and saw us nearly snatch a top 4 position. But it is evident that it doesn’t suit the current set of players.
Buying van Dijk and returning to 4 at the back would give us a defence of: Bellerin VvD Kos Sead. There are not too many defences better than that in world football.
3. Sign Jean Michael Seri – Liverpool exposed Arsenal’s problems in the middle of the park. Xhaka and Ramsey are simply not a good partnership.
We are struggling to transition the ball from defence to attack. Something that has ended up leaving Mesut Ozil isolated and coming deeper to get the ball.
Santi Cazorla has not been replaced. Xhaka was supposed to be that replacement, starting out attacks from deep, but too often he gives the ball away in dangerous places leading to goals conceded.
With a release clause of €40m, Seri, next to Xhaka, would solve our problems in the middle of the park.
4. Sign Thomas Lemar – Why haven’t we just done the deal? I don’t get it?
5. Switch to 4231 – Getting in Vvd and Seri would give us the stability to return to 4231. The formation which suits the players a lot more.
You would have a solid defence, some mobility and ability in midfield that would free up Ozil to perform in the finals 3rd.
An attacking trio who are versatile and offer a lot of threat, and a clinical striker up top.
Of course, the step I have not mentioned yet is getting rid of Arsene Wenger. It might not solve every problem at Arsenal ,but he is the biggest problem at Arsenal.