The majority reading this will want Arsene Wenger to go. Some will say they have wanted him out for years, others merely weeks. Some define their football “lives” by wanting him to go, classing themselves as WOBs, others just feel he is not the right man for the club, but will happily celebrate the success.
Over the years, I have never had an issue with people wanting Wenger to leave or stay. Both sides of the centralist position have valid arguments.
Some people “boycott whilst he is still in charge”, others never actually went to games previously and pretend to boycott just so that they can make a point. One clown even declared this summer that he was boycotting, and has then been to every game this season. Odd.
You are entitled to support (or not support) the team how you feel. But up to a point. There are some things that I feel are frankly disgraceful:
1. Wanting Arsenal to fail – It is Arsenal FC, not Arsene FC. You should want the team to win, no matter your view on the manager. People say they want Arsenal out as he will not win us the league, then also say that they would hate us to win the league as they do not want him to stay. You can not have it both ways.
If you found yourself cheering the Bournemouth winning, delighted that Nottingham Forest beat us, or hoping that we lose every game, then you are not an Arsenal supporter. You just have an anti-Arsene agenda.
Support the team, not the regime.
2. Wanting Wenger to become ill – Everyone has had someone affected by cancer. It is not nice to watch a loved one contracted the killer disease, and then their lives slowly deteriorate. There are people out their wishing that Arsene Wenger gets cancer, or other terminal illnesses like AIDs.
Wenger is a father, an (ex) husband. It is not big, nor clever to do this. In fact, it is down right disgusting, vile behaviour.
3. Comparing Wenger to murderous dictators – I have seen people compare Wenger to the likes of Adolf Hitler and Robert Mugabe. These are men who have killed millions for no reason then they were “different” to themselves. Comparing Wenger, a football manager, to people that have committed genocide. OK.
4. Wanting Wenger to die – Alongside the illness, people want Wenger to die. This is just odd, that they want to see Wenger in a coffin.
Again, he is a father to a teenage daughter. Wanting him to die, because you are annoyed we lost to Bournemouth. Yeh. Alright then.
5. Calling Wenger a “kiddie fiddler” – The lowest of the low. Spurs fans have spent years calling Arsene Wenger a paedophile. Punches have been thrown over this. And now some fans have started to call him a nonce, a kiddie fiddler, all because we finished 5th.
That highlights how classless some of our fans are. Calling a manager a child sex offender, all because you are upset that we are not challenging for the league.
I do feel for the fans who go down this route. They must live truly sad, insignificant lives. Karma will catch up with them.
Calling for any of the above is just attention seeking. It is for a few RTs, follows or likes on a Facebook page. For me, if you do any of the above, you are not only a sub-par Arsenal fan, you are a sub-par human being.
By all means, want Wenger Out. Demand him to go. Protest against him. But as soon as you begin wishing cancer on him, or calling him a kiddie fiddler, you lose a lot of validity, and a lot of backing.
The last protest against Arsene Wenger was marred by a fake video going viral of fans singing that they wished Wenger was dead. This devalued any sort of message from the protest.
Demand Wenger Out, but keep it classy guys.