Few interesting points:
1) Manchester City have spent a hell of a money for just 1 league title. Infact, they have spent £80m more in 5 years than Arsenal have during the entire Premier League era.
2) Alex Ferguson spent his last 3 years at Manchester United spending the Cristiano Ronaldo money. Very shrewd. Moyes has spent 67.7m taking the team backwards,
3) Liverpool have a net spend similar to Manchester United, is 1 (potential) title really a success then?
4) Arsenal have pretty much broken even over the period, showing just how much we had to tighten our belt.
5) Spurs have had to sell to buy over the last 5 years as they plan the new stadium. Previous years, they have always had a commodity to sell (Bent, Modric, Van Der Vaart, Bale). Do they have the players to sell this summer to enable themselves to rebuild?
Just some thoughts really. Proper blog to come later.
All figures taken from http://www.transferleague.co.uk/